A variety of scholarships are available to individuals who have a Bakken background. The following North Dakota residents are encouraged to apply:
- Someone who currently works or formerly worked for an energy company
- Someone who currently works or formerly worked in an energy-related auxiliary enterprise
- Spouse of an energy worker
Here is the list of scholarships that will be available starting in the 2017-2018 academic year:
- The North Dakota Petroleum Council has partnered with the North Dakota University System to offer two $2,500 scholarships for the 2017-2018 academic year. The recipients will be able to attend any one of the five BakkenU institutions – Bismarck State College, Dakota College of Bottineau, Dickinson State University, Minot State University, or Williston State College. The recipients must enroll full-time at one of the BakkenU institutions for both semesters. Each recipient will receive $1,250 for the fall 2017 semester and $1,250 for the spring 2018 semester.
- Dickinson State University is offering a four-year scholarship with a total value of $9,000. The recipient must enroll full-time at Dickinson State University.
- Minot State University is offering three $1,000 scholarships to BakkenU applicants for the 2017-18 school year. Applicants can apply for the MSU BakkenU Scholarship by simply completing the NDUS BakkenU Scholarship application. Recipients must enroll full-time at Minot State University.
- Williston State College is offering five $1,000 scholarships to Bakken U scholarship recipients for the 2017-18 school year. Recipients must enroll full-time at Williston State College.
- Bismarck State College Foundation is offering three $1,000 scholarships for recipients enrolled full-time at Bismarck State College. More scholarships may be available through the BSC Foundation by application. Click here for more information.
These scholarships will cover the cost of attendance, including tuition, fees, books/supplies, transportation, room/board and other misc. educational expenses.
To be eligible for a scholarship, a completed application and a resume needs to be submitted by June 30, 2017.
Submission of the application indicates acknowledgment that the scholarship awards are made entirely at the discretion of the scholarship committee, which may use any evaluation criteria and procedure they deem appropriate. Award recipients will be notified by the Bakken U Scholarship Committee or the awarding institution . Upon notification, the recipients will be responsible for contacting one their host institution’s Admissions office for enrollment.